It was a perfect day to create a few fall soups:
- Split Pea Soup with Crispy Bacon
- Bacon, Cauliflower and White Bean Soup Recipe
- Broccoli and Potato Soup
Split Pea Soup with Crispy Bacon
- 4 slices naturally smoked bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika or ¼ tsp (1 mL) smoked paprika
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ cups (375 mL) yellow split peas,
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 8 cups (2 L) unsalted or reduced-sodium
- chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup (125 mL) sour cream
Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a large pot, stirring, until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate and set aside to drain. Discard all but about 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the bacon fat from the pot.
Return pot to medium heat and add butter. Stir to mix with remaining bacon fat. Sauté onions, carrots, paprika, thyme and ½ tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
Add split peas, potatoes, stock, water and bay leaf and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 1¼ hours or until peas are very soft. Discard bay leaf. (Soup can be cooled, covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days. Refrigerate bacon in a separate container. Reheat soup over medium heat until steaming before proceeding).
Stir sour cream and half of bacon into soup and add more stock or water if necessary to thin to desired consistency. Reheat over medium heat until steaming, stirring often. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle soup into warmed bowls and serve sprinkled with remaining bacon.
Bacon, Cauliflower and White Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 8 cups cauliflower florets
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans white kidney beans, drained well
In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, add bacon and saut until golden, about 15 minutes. Remove bacon from pot with slotted spoon and set aside to cool. Once cooled, crumble bacon and save as garnish.
Add onions, garlic and thyme to pot, cook over low heat until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes. Add wine and continue cooking for 3 minutes.
Add white pepper, cauliflower, chicken stock and beans. Bring to the boil and then lower to simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender.
Let cool slightly. When the soup is cool enough, pure with a hand blender until velvety smooth. Serve warm, sprinkled with crumbled bacon.
Broccoli and Potato Soup
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 6 cup chicken stock, vegetable stock or water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 head of broccoli, stems cut into chunks and florets reserved
- Salt and pepper
- A large pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Place a 4 quart pot over medium-high heat and add oil. When it’s hot, add onions and sauté until they have softened. Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add stock, grated potatoes and broccoli stems. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until they are tender and potatoes have broken down. Add nutmeg and adjust seasoning and puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
Reheat soup prior to serving and add reserved broccoli florets and cheddar cheese. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until cheese has melted and florets are tender and bright green. Serve hot.